Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Who is involved with Breakthrough Breast Cancer
Teams of dedicated researchers and scientists are working across the UK with the goal of understanding the causes of breast cancer and finding a cure for it.
Why was Breakthrough Breast Cancer formed
Their vision was to create a centre of excellence for breast cancer research. With the help of Professor Barry Gusterson of the Institute of Cancer Research they realised a new approach to breast cancer research was needed. From this vision, Breakthrough Breast Cancer came into being.
Due to the work and generosity of individuals, companies, and trusts 15 million was raised, making possible the building of the Breakthrough Research Centre, housed in the Mary-Jean Mitchell Green Building, another wife and mother who died from breast cancer.
Through determination, hard-work, and diligence the Breakthrough Research Centre was ready for business in only 8 years. It was opened in 1999 by their patron, HRH The Prince of Wales.
At this time, over 120 scientists, under the direction of Professor Alan Ashworth, work in parallel on a coordinated research programme, looking at the causes of breast cancer and how it progresses. They also have links with researchers and clinicians at the Institute of Cancer Research and the Royal Marsden Hospital, placing these scientists at the hub of the largest cancer research centre in Europe.
Support Breakthrough Breast Cancer through Amazon
Breast Cancer: Reduce Your Risk With Foods You Love
Thorlo Women's Pink Pad Breast Cancer Sock, White/Pink, Large/11 Ladies 9.5-11.5
Pack Of 24 Pink Ribbon Camo Rings - Breast Cancer Awareness
Missions and Values of Breakthrough Breast Cancer
We aim to:
- Initiate and support research which aims ultimately to eradicate breast cancer by discovering the causes of the disease, finding methods of prevention and developing new treatments
- Create a focus for breast cancer research through the Breakthrough Toby Robins Breast Cancer Research Centre, housed in the Mary-Jean Mitchell Green building at the Institute of Cancer Research; the first of its kind in the UK
- Encourage the rapid communication of research findings for the practical benefit of people with breast cancer
- Foster partnerships between organisations concerned with breast cancer
- Promote breast cancer education and awareness among the public, policy makers, health professionals and the media
- Campaign for policies that support breast cancer research and a pioneering approach to breast cancer services in the UK.
Taken from the Breakthrough Breast Cancer website
Breast Cancer Awareness
You can buy this poster
Click here to buy posters!
Support Breakthrough Breast Cancer through CafePress
Breast Cancer Fake Organic Women's Fitted T-Shirt
Breast Cancer Awareness License Plate Frame
Pink Ribbon Breast Cancer License Plate Frame
You can now give in the USA through
American Friends of Breakthrough Breast Cancer.
Take time to take a crocus walk
Help raise money for Breakthrough Breast Cancer
There are no set routes or rules, it's your time to get outdoors with family and friends, remember and celebrate, and raise a bit of money.
How to plan a crocus walk
- Sign up for your FREE information pack, filled with the essentials about Crocus Walk. Information pack
- Pick your walk location (remember it can be anywhere you choose) and set a date.
- Register your walk! You'll then receive your free fundraising materials to help you with your walk including your sponsorship form and organiser t-shirt. Register here
- Invite all your friends and ask them to save the date.
- Start fundraising! You can give all your walkers a sponsorship form or ask them for an entry fee to come along to your walk. Many of our Crocus Walkers have tea and cakes at the end of their walk for sustenance but this helps raise extra funds as well!
- Once you've done your walk, come back and visit 'After Your Walk' where you'll be able to pay in your funds online.
If you're not in the UK
Avon Walk for Breast Cancer
Susan G Komen 3-Day Walk
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
Why you should donate to Breast Cancer Research
Nearly 46,000 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed yearly in the UK.
Nearly 1 in 3 of all cancers in women are breast cancers.
More than 1000 women die each month in the UK from breast cancer.
Around 300 men are diagnosed with breast cancer in the UK each year.
I know of no one who has not been directly or indirectly affected by breast cancer.
What Breakthrough Breast Cancer does
Our methods are diverse, ranging from parliamentary work to grass roots campaigning by members of the Breakthrough's Campaigns & Advocacy Network (Breakthrough CAN) and forming partnerships with healthcare professionals.
Through our programme of scientific research, we aim to: identify better methods for diagnosing breast cancer accurately, develop more effective tailored treatments and find ways to prevent breast cancer in the future.
Breakthrough Breast Cancer publishes a number of booklets on breast cancer types, risks, and treatments. They also publish a magazine quarterly, Purple and a bi-annual journal, Highlight.
You can find a complete listing of all publications produced by Breakthrough Breast Cancer here
Source: Breakthrough Breast Cancer
Better Homes and Gardens
Special Pink Edition
Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book: Celebrating the Promise, 14th Limited Edition "Pink Plaid"
Better Homes & Gardens are an institution in American kitchens.
Their Special Edition pink cookbook helps to raise funds for "Susan G Komen for the Cure"
This enormous undertaken was first discussed in 2002. A pilot-study in 2003 was successful and Breakthough Breast Cancer in partnership with the Institute of Cancer Research agreed to launch a full scale study.
The Generations study was officially begun on 2nd September, 2004 with extensive media coverage. Almost 15,000 women registering an interest to join the study via the website or telephone in the first 24 hours!
In April 2006 the 50,000th participant was recruited.
In March 2009 the 100,000th partiipant was recruited, one year ahead of schedule.
What is the study doing
"This study involves over 100,000 women from the general population from whom information is gathered, at recruitment, about factors that might relate to breast cancer risk or protection. Contact is then kept with these women over time to determine their risks of breast cancer in relation to these factors.
The Breakthrough Generations Study has been designed to investigate the complex interplay of lifestyle, environmental, genetic and hormonal factors acting throughout a woman's life and determine how these affect an individual's risk of developing breast cancer. Pinpointing these factors should be of benefit to present and future generations, and enable women to make informed lifestyle choices."
Source: Breakthrough Generations
- Breakthrough - A UK Charity: Our vision is a future free from the fear of breast cancer
- Breakthrough Breast Cancer is the UK's leading charity committed to fighting breast cancer through research and education.
- Breakthrough Generations - The UK study of the causes of breast cancer
- The Breakthrough Generations Study is a major study into the causes of breast cancer. The study will include over 100,000 women in the UK; it plans to be the largest, longest running scientific study of its kind. Breakthrough Breast Cancer, in partnership with The Institute of Cancer Research, is su
- Susan G Komen for the Cure
- As the world's largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists, we're working together to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures.
- Breakthrough - Research Homepage
- The Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Centre is the first dedicated breast cancer research facility in the UK.
- ROCK - Home - Home page
- ROCK aims to provide a single online interface for the management, navigation, cross-linking and cross-correlation of data relating to breast cancer research from a wide variety of laboratory and clinical studies..
- Crocus Walks | Breakthrough Breast Cancer
- Every year in the UK, 46,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer. The research we do strives for better treatment, accurate diagnosis and prevention, and is funded entirely by voluntary donations.
- Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation RI Rhode Island
- Breast cancer resource foundation RI Rhode Island, to help raise breast cancer awareness, breast cancer, early detection, breast cancer source for breast cancer facts, education and treatment options.
- Weekend to End Breast Cancer
- Breast Cancer is hard, walking isn't.
Thank you to grandmabarb for telling me about this site
All money earned is being donated to charity
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research, education, and patient services. LLS's mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the
We at Squidoo passionately believe in creating new ways to support good causes online. By making a donation to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society from this page, you are sending money directly to that organization, in whatever amount you want. We don't touch it. We don't even see it. The author of this page doesn't either. And if you made it this far, thanks for caring.
Because I am unable to designate any percentages to Breakthrough Breast Cancer I have made the decision to personally donate any money generated through this lens to Breakthrough Breast Cancer. This includes money earned through any sales from the Kolnza Healing Zazzle Shop Think Pink range as well.
Breakthrough Breast Cancer name and logo used with permission.